Here it is, another cliche end-of-year retrospective on everything that’s come my way this past year!
Although this year has been very on-and-off as far as my blogging goes, I’m happy to report that in real life Vikram and I were very blessed to have a nearly consistent stream of positivity throughout 2017. I’d like to share what I’ve been up to, as well as some goals, resolutions, and hopes for 2018. I hope you enjoy!
- I got to spend two weeks in Florida in February, part of which was spent at my favorite place in the world – Disney World! It was Vikram’s first time, and I loved finally being able to share my happy place with him.
- Although my mom got into her accident in April, she was so lucky to have sustained the injuries that she did, and that it wasn’t more serious. She recovered very quickly – you can barely tell that she was in an accident at all at this point – and it allowed me to spend some extra unplanned time in Minnesota helping to take care of her.
- I got an amazing surprise anniversary trip to St. Augustine, Florida for our Indian anniversary in April! We had so much fun and the weather was perfect!
- I flew up to Minnesota to attend my sister-in-law’s bachelorette party on Lake Okoboji, Iowa in May – it was so fun being on the lake and spending time with the wedding party before the big day!
- My brother got married in June!! We were going nonstop from 6AM until 1AM, and I still don’t know where I found all that energy! It was the most beautiful day and one that I’ll never forget.
- My father-in-law finally got his visa approved and visited the U.S. for the first time in June-July! He came just in time for my brother’s wedding, then drove back to North Carolina with us and stayed for a few more weeks. During his stay, we were able to explore the Twin Cities, Chicago, Kentucky (specifically the Jim Beam Stillery and Mammoth Cave), Nashville, and the Outer Banks. It was a whirlwind trip full of amazing travels, food, and most importantly, memories.
- I started school at the end of August! I am pursuing a B.A. in Interior Design, and I just finished my first semester – two classes for two months, then another two classes for two months. Being a nontraditional (read: adult) student and taking online classes for the first time took some getting used to, but at this point I feel like I’ve finally figured out how to tackle the various responsibilities and challenges that come with an online degree.
- We were able to spend a long weekend in a cabin in the Smoky Mountains with old and new friends in September! Vikram and I had never been, and we had an amazing time. It was also our first time zip lining, but definitely not our last!
- My brother and sister-in-law are expecting a baby next summer! Vikram and I are so excited to be an aunty and uncle for the first time!! We haven’t bought any baby gifties yet, but it’s only a matter of time!
- We came up to Minnesota for a week in November to support our Bollywood group with their first festival, MinneUtsav! We watched their play, taught a Bhangra class, and saw some Bollywood-inspired improv! It was another whirlwind journey but absolutely unforgettable and something we would never miss!
- For the first time in many, many years, I finally found a skincare regimen that is a great fit for me and makes me feel so much better about my skin!
- We are now spending time in Minnesota with friends and family. Although the weather is basically the worst ever and has sealed the deal on us never moving back, we are still thankful to be home for the holidays! Check out my pictures in this post – my mom has done a lot to her house this past year, and her decor creates the perfect Winter Wonderland feel to brighten up these dark Minnesota days!
Crazy, right?! We traveled so much this year, there were times when I felt like I was just living out of suitcases and travel-size containers! It’s hard to say how much travel 2018 will bring, but it’s hard to imagine it’ll be anything like this past year!
- I plan on revamping this blog! You may have noticed some of the physical changes I’ve made to streamline the look, but I also plan on updating the content I’ll be posting. Vermillion Rhapsody has become very focused on Indowestern topics, but with everything going on this past year I often found myself struggling to create new pertinent content for the blog. In 2018, I plan on widening this blog’s scope to include more of my daily life, including my Interior Design and career journey, on top of the existing Indowestern content. If there’s anything you’d like to see on the blog, please feel free to let me know!
- I plan to focus more on my health – getting enough sleep, eating better, and exercising regularly. Since I started school, I’ve really been working on taking care of myself mentally and emotionally (I’m planning to do a post on this soon!), and I think the start of the new year is the perfect time to start focusing on my physical health too.
- I plan to challenge myself creatively and put myself out there more. I have some very lofty career goals, and I know I’m not going to reach them unless I really push myself!
- I have one very secret creative project I’ve been working on for quite a while, and my goal is to unveil it by the end of 2018! I wish I could say more, but be sure to keep and eye/ear out for more details!
- After much deliberation and hesitation, I have finally decided on a design concept for our home! I look forward to sharing more details on that, as well as curating new pieces and slowly watching my design come to life!
I appreciate everyone who has stuck with me through my blogging journey thus far! I have very high hopes for what 2018 will bring, and I look forward to sharing it with all of you!
Happy New Year!